English Language will encourage you to enjoy your interest in the written and spoken word through learning about its variety, it’s accent, dialects and it’s use in occupations, leisure and all other walks of life. Topics of study include age, gender, ethnicity, language acquisition and language change.
Part of your coursework involves an investigation of data which you collect and write about. What interests you about how we use language? You will also write and analyse your own short story.
English Language will enable you to explore questions such as:
- How are men and women represented differently in the media?
- Does where you live affect your speech?
- How do we create our online identities?
- What is ‘correct’ English?
- How has language changed over time?
- Do children simply learn through imitation?
Download our English Language course information sheet →